But what happens when our juices wane and we start losing steam?
We might feel like we’ve fallen flat, lost our mojo, got distracted, dropped a ball, became too obsessed, came up short, came up blank, and then some.
Throughout my journey, I have discovered how important it is to unplug, try something new, act a fool, walk away from convention and fearlessly jump into the unknown.
And sometimes, all it takes is the simplest act in order to come back to yourself.
Here are 13 tips to shake off your creative stagnancy and find your mojo again:
1. // Write a love letter. To your best friend. Your lover. Your mom. Express love in words using a pen and paper.
2. // Unplug from social media for 24 hours. Stop counting your “likes” on Instagram. Logout of Facebook. Turn off your Twitter alerts. Put your phone down and make a commitment to stay within the present moment. Approach it like an experiment. When those 24 hours are over, journal about your experience.
3. // Go for a long bike ride, feel the wind in your face, and smile at every bike you cross paths with.
4. // Head to your local bead store and make a new piece of jewelry. Give it to a stranger.
5. // Have a lengthy conversation with a five year old.
6. // Volunteer for a cause close to your heart and spend time with people, animals and communities who need you.
7. // Get your Feng Shui on. Clean out the clutter in your drawers, your bathroom and your closets. Create fresh energy in your home and get that chi flowing.
8. // Time travel by picking up an old journal, preferably from when you were in high school or college, and read it front to back.
9. // Meet up for coffee with a new friend or colleague in an entirely different line of work than you, or from an entirely different world than you. Ask questions. Listen more than talk.
10. // Quit something that no longer feels authentic to you to open space for something that does.
11. // Turn off the TV and go to bed an hour earlier. Get up an hour earlier and don’t immediately check your phone.
12. // Go through your bookshelf and pick out three books you’ve yet to read. Leave them on your bedside table and take time each night to dabble within them. Give them a straight read, explore chapters that intrigue you or skip to the very end and read the final few paragraphs. Break the rules.
13. // Do something that scares the eff out of you. No, I’m not suggesting you go sky dive or swim with sharks. Sometimes the scariest thing in the world can be telling someone how you really feel, expressing your truth or simply changing your mind about something and switching directions. Get out of your comfort zone. Let new energy flow and that stagnant sh*t go.
Bring joy, play and inspiration into the evolution of your creative self. Only then and there will you evolve into your most creative self.
Pick one focus on today, then repeat for the next 12 days. G’luck and have fun!